In this Dhan vs 5Paisa comparison you will find answers of all the question related to both stockbrokers at one place. We will be comparing different services such as brokerage, web/desktop based trading platform (Dhan App vs 5Paisa App), account opening charges, customer service, margin and lot more products and services both stock broker offers to its clients.
You would be amazed to know that 5paisa as an broker has an wide range of financials products to trade and invest such as Equity (stocks), Mutual funds, Commodity, Currency, FnO, Digital Gold, IPO, ETF, SGB, NFO, FPO etc.
Apart from these they also have many other financial services like Stock recommendations, gold loan, Personal Loans, Insurance, Research Products, Robo advisory and many more.
Hence 5Paisa is not just a discount broker but can be considered as a full time stock broker.
Whereas Dhan made their entry in one of the highly competitive broking industry in September 2021 and they have more than 1 million+ users who have installed their app from playstore. Looking at this number it does shows the trust they have created for users in their products and services.
But why one would even choose dhan as they seem to be somehow new in the industry at first place.
It is because believe me or not but dhan have evolve as one of the best stockbrokers in the current league and giving the tough competition to Zerodha and Upstox in terms of best trading platform, lowest brokerage structure, better investing features etc.
Dhan has one of the best web based trading platform I have personally seen and it beats even Zerodha trading platform due to the various features available under the same page such as technical, advanced option chain, customised option strategy builder, fundamentals of company, financials etc.
So without further delay, let us start first with 5Paisa vs Dhan overall review in 21 brief points and later below you can check them in detailed guide if you want.
Just to let you know the post may be little long as it covers all aspects of the Dhan and 5Paisa stock broker in detail, you can move through table of contents for the info you are looking.
Dhan Vs 5Paisa Overall Comparison:
I have already used both stock broker services as well as wrote the reviews about them in detailed way separately, based on my experience and facts below are things you can consider before opening an account with them.
- Dhan and 5Paisa both have fantastic trading platform for web/mobile app, you can do fundamental as well as technical analysis quite easily.
- 5Paisa also offers a downloadable trading platform version by name Trade Station Exe but Dhan do not have this as of now. On the other hand dhan have a dedicated option trading platform (Web + App) which is not available at 5Paisa.
- Recently Dhan have also made tie up with smallcase for making portfolio based investment moreover they do have a stock recommendation tool as well which gives long term investment ideas known as Stratzy (free).
- 5Paisa have their own smart investor and swing trader for intraday and delivery based stock recommendation service (paid).
- You can Invest and trade in all segments at both brokers i.e. Equity (Stocks), FNO, Commodity, Currency on both NSE, BSE & MCX.
- Dhan brokerages are lower than 5Paisa, they charge in equity Rs.20 or 0.03% (whichever is lower) whereas 5Paisa charges Rs.20 per executed order moreover with dhan you also get another 50% brokerage off for women’s.
- Dhan and 5Paisa both offers free equity delivery trades as well.
- 5Paisa also provides other services such as Portfolio management, advisory, Insurance, Gold Loan, Personal Loan, etc. and these are not available with dhan as of now.
- 5Paisa and Dhan both offers free mutual fund investment i.e. SIP in stocks and ETF.
- Call and trade charges are Rs.50 for Dhan and Rs.100 for 5paisa if you use, Other charges such as stamp duty, DP, transactions charges remains same for both.
- Other than this you can also invest and trade in IPO’s, NFO’s, ETF, SGB, and many other financial products with so much ease with both stockbrokers.
- 5Paisa provide Margin Trading Facility (MTF) for up to 3X leverage in delivery based trades.
- Dhan also gives Margin Trading Facility (MTF) for up to 4X leverage (75% funds) from Dhan for Equity Delivery trading. You can buy 950+ stocks and hold them for unlimited period of time.
- Dhan also offers another feature known as WelathBasket, it is a basket of stocks/ETFs, based on a strategy, theme or idea. WealthBaskets are professionally managed and help you invest in Stock Markets in a systematic way and this is not available with 5Paisa.
- Dhan has also partnered with Tactic who provides Trade Ideas & Strategies of top SEBI registered traders in currently 3 modes – Intraday, Positional & BTST. This feature will greatly help the new as well as experience traders.
- 1Cliq by oipulse is integrated with Dhan which helps fast traders to identify trends especially scalpers. You can have trade execution with pre defined SL, auto Trailing SL, MTM target and stop loss are some of it’s amazing features which is not available with 5Paisa.
- If we talk about Margin at 5Paisa vs dhan, after SEBI Rules on Intraday margin every stockbroker is giving same intraday margin 5X throughout India, hence this does not matter anymore.
- Account opening charges as well as AMC (Annual Maintenance Charges) is Zero for Dhan for a limited time period.
- For a limited time period you can open a Free trading/demat account with 5Paisa here, although they do charges one time account opening fee of Rs.300 usually. The maximum AMC (Annual Maintenance Charge) at 5Paisa is Rs.25 Per month, which gets charged at the year end.
- There are other 2 paid plans also available at 5paisa known as Power Investor Pack, Ultra Trader Pack , this reduces overall brokerages, DP Transaction, free trades, stock recommendation etc.
- You can invest in US Stocks such as Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. using 5Paisa trading platform which is very unique feature offered to clients and this is not available with dhan as of now.
Overall, if you are hardcore trader than go with dhan broker as brokerage is low and their trading platform is better but if you are more of an investor who also need recommendation and other investing features than choose 5paisa.
Now, it is up to you to decide which one you choose as both dhan and 5Paisa have everything that is needed to trade and invest in stock market as well as in other financial instruments hassle free online.
Now, let us go dive deep to cover all different services and features of Dhan and 5paisa step by step and see who is best between both discount brokers by doing in depth analysis.
About Dhan Vs 5Paisa:
Before we dig deeper to understand the various services offered it becomes utmost import to know in brief about Fyers and Dhan history.
Dhan Stock broker made their entry in one of the highly competitive broking industry last year in September 2021. Pravin Jadhav who was also the former Paytm Money CEO is the CEO of Dhan. Dhan is backed by leading investor such as MIRAE ASSET, BEENEXT, BLUME, 3ONE4 CAPITAL, Social Leverage etc.
Dhan is SEBI Registered (INZ000006031) online stock broker offering trading on all exchanges (BSE, NSE, MCX) and across all segments (equity, exchange-traded funds, futures, options, currency, commodities). Dhan have partnered with CDSL for depository services.
The company is registered by the name Moneylicious Securities Private Limited and have corporate office in, Borivali East, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
5paisa is a subsidiary of IIFL Holdings Limited (formerly known as India Infoline Limited), Nirmal Jain is the owner of 5paisa as well as IIFL. However, In 2016, IIFL demerged 5Paisa Digital Undertaking from the company into 5Paisa Capital.
IIFL had invested Rs 100 crore in 5Paisa, a digital platform for all financial products including equities, derivatives, mutual funds, AIFs, bonds & debentures, insurance and personal loans.
So, 5paisa works as an independent company having support of IIFL, Mr. Prakarsh Gagdani is the director and CEO of the company. 5paisa got listed on Indian stock exchange ( BSE and NSE) In Nov,2017. 5paisa is also first Publicly Listed online broking company.
As I have already told you the total number of active clients are more than 26.5 lakh as per NSE. Which means they have added more than 1.5 lakh clients every year in last 5.5 years in market.
5paisa offers all financial services like Equity Trading, Mutual funds investments, Insurance, Research Products, Commodity and Currency Trading, Digital Gold Investment, Robo Advisory and Personal Loans under one roof.
5paisa headquartered at Mumbai, near Thane and it is associated with all three major stock exchanges in India NSE, BSE & MCX. They are depository participant (DP) for both NSDL and CDSL. Moreover, you can also Invest in US Markets using 5Paisa platform.
Dhan Vs 5Paisa Margin Comparison:
Margin in stock market refers to buying/selling of securities (shares) by borrowing money from your broker. This is very much similar to taking loan for short period of time. This helps traders in buying or selling more with less money in intraday trading.
If you are an active trader or a beginner who knows what exactly going on with recent changes brought by SEBI, Higher Margin won’t be a factor anymore, now the competition among the broking industry is in terms of better trading platforms and lower brokerages plans.
The upfront margin collection in cash segment has been kept at flat 20%, which means now the leverage for all stocks would be 5x also the penalty provision for short-collection/ non-collection of upfront margin in cash segment.
This means regardless of any broker you won’t get more than 5X times margin in equity cash segment and in FNO you need to have the full margin span+exposure to take any position.
Therefore, the margin or leverages offered will be equal irrespective of the stock brokers in India going forward. Keep in mind this also applies to Currency and commodity derivatives as well.
For example: if there is a 20% margin requirement on a particular stock, then you will have to pay only Rs.20 to buy a stock of Rs.100. Another way to look at it is that if you have Rs.100, you will be able to buy five stocks instead of one.
Hence, the margin requirement will be same for all brokers including 5Paisa and dhan for intraday trading in equites and derivatives.
One need to understand taking more margin means more risk and chances of your money getting wiped out is even more, so it is always advisable to use it in limited way.
So going forward please choose stock broker not in terms of margin or leverage as it is same for all brokers through out India.
Dhan Vs 5Paisa Brokerages Comparison:
Brokerage is the most important factor when you trade and invest, both 5Paisa and Dhan have quite low brokerages. Let us know brokerage for both discount brokers one by one.
Dhan Brokerage Structure:
Brokerage charge at Dhan is very low, there is no charge for taking delivery of the trades to your demat account. Whereas for intraday trades across equity, currency, commodity, it is flat Rs.20 or 0.03%(whichever is lower) and for options segment it is Rs. 20 per order.
Brokerage Structure of 5Paisa:
5Paisa do not charge any brokerage, for any segment, they only charge flat fee of Rs.20 per executed order. Keep in mind these brokerage is for free plan and not the two add-on packs ultra and power.
Similarly you can make investments in mutual funds through monthly SIP or Lumpsum using 5paisa platform and there are Zero charges as well as no commissions.
Unlike other brokers, 5paisa offers different services depending upon the subscription package you take at the time of opening the account with them.
This means either you do not take any add on plan from 5 paisa and continue using the services with normal features or opt for 2 addon plans that they have.
They provide 2 types of add on Plans:
- Power Investor Pack
- Ultra Trader Pack
5Paisa Power Investor Pack Review:
If you are someone who does not have either time to do technical or fundamental analysis or you do not have enough knowledge to do so, than 5Paisa power investor pack are best thing you can opt.
Having said that as stated above these add on plans are not compulsory at all.
Let us know the features and services under 5Paisa power investor plan :
- Flat Fee of Rs. 10 per executed order (50% discount)
- Stock ideas for intraday and short term trading from another product known as “Swing Trader”
- Long term ideas from another product known as “Smart Investor”
- Advanced Portfolio Analytics: Compare your portfolio performance with benchmark indices, sectorial concentration and much more
- Free Model Portfolio and list of hot stocks to watch out for.
- Advisory recommendation for long term
- Model Portfolio for new customers (track record of 10-15% more return than NIFTY)
- Timely communication for BUY & SELL
- Get extensive research on over 4000 stocks absolutely FREE
- Short term recommendations for 2-14 days
- Success rate 60-65%
- Daily recommendations
- Timely communication for BUY & SELL absolutely FREE
- Get Market Evaluation
- Daily Market Outlook
- Track your Portfolio
- Create benchmark
- NAV of equity portfolio – a first in the industry
- Check your buy sell decisions
So basically under power investor pack you get the best trading and investment ideas. Hence if you are trader or investor looking for short, mid or long term form of investment or trading than you can atleast give it a try for a month.
5Paisa Ultra Trader Pack Pack Review:
5Paisa ultra trader pack as the name suggest is basically for someone who do more of intraday trading plus investment.
First 100 trades FREE every month
Flat Rs. 10 per executed order from 101st trade for all segments
Options writing exposure
Up to 4 times on all days
Call and Trade
Net Banking Pay In Charges
Note: 18% GST applicable on all the above mentioned charges
Also, keep in mind that subscription charges are payable either Monthly or Annually and once paid is non -refundable.
Incase you do not opt for any such add-on pack from 5paisa these features and services won’t be available for you.
Overall, Dhan in terms of brokerages is better then 5Paisa if we compare the free plan of 5Paisa.
Dhan Vs 5paisa Account Opening Charges:
There are no account opening charges as of now with dhan for a limited time period. You can open dhan trading and demat account with zero AMC (Annual Mainenetance Charges).
- ₹0 Demat Account Fees
- ₹0 AMC
- ₹0 Platform Fees
- ₹0 Brokerage for Delivery Trades
- ₹20 per order for Intraday Trades
- ₹10 per order for Intraday and F&O Trades for all women investors on Dhan
If we talk about 5Paisa,Demat and trading account, for a limited time period there are no charges for account opening, the only thing is subscription charges for different plan that totally depends on you to take, basic Plan has no subscription charges at all.
However if you want to take benefit of premium service in other two subscription, Power investor Plan, ultra trader Plan you can try them on monthly basis as well.
5Paisa Demat account charges depends on holding value in demat account, for example if the holding value of stocks turn out to be less than Rs.50,000 there are no AMC, where as above Rs.50,000 and less than Rs. 2lacs it is Rs.8 per month and above Rs.2 lacs the AMC will be charged Rs.25 per month.
Overall, If we see apart from free trading/demat account, Dhan is charging no AMC so it’s more of money saving for you.
5Paisa Vs Dhan Online Account Opening Process:
The account opening process is online and it’s very seamless and smooth. Here is what you need to do:
To open an account with Dhan online, you can sign up using your mobile number through this link.
Similarly, To open an A/c online with 5Paisa , Click on this link and first enter your mobile number.
You will receive an OTP to your number and you can get started with the process.
You will be required to enter your PAN, Bank account details and personal details to continue with the sign-up.
Once you sign up you need to upload certain documents listed below:
1. Your PAN card
2. Your Aadhaar
3. To complete the e Sign process, you will have to authenticate it with an OTP. So, make sure you have the number linked to your Aadhaar handy. If not, you will not be able to complete the process. If the number linked to your Aadhaar is inactive, or if you don’t have any number linked, then you can visit your nearest Aadhaar Seva Kendra to get it updated.
4. A photo or scanned copy of your signature proof will be required to be uploaded.
6. Income proof – It is mandatory to submit income proof if you wish to trade in Futures and options – Equity, Commodity, and Currency.
You can submit one of the below documents.
- Income tax returns acknowledgment
- 6-month Bank statement
- Latest salary slip
- Demat holding statement, or
- A CA certifying your net worth
Note: The documents mentioned are for a Resident Individual Account.
Dhan Vs 5Paisa Trading Platform Comparison:
The most important part of any trading platform is the tools and resources it has for technical and fundamental analysis. If we talk about Dhan first below is what you can expect as an trader and investor:
Dhan have 3 trading platform for all devices known as:
- Dhan App for Mobile
- Dhan for desktop web version
- Option trading platform (Web + App) by dhan
It is not possible to review all of them under one post however, will review the dhan web version trading platform and as the functionalities and features remains same across different version hence it does not matter.
Dhan web or say browser based trading platform, which can be opened on any web browser you use. Just like a website but with all the tools and resources needed.
Honestly, this is one of the best web based trading platform I have personally seen it may sound little exaggerated but it even beats the Zerodha trading platform due to the various features available under the same page such as technical, advanced option chain data, customised option strategy builder, fundamentals of company, financials etc.
On left hand you will see the market watch, from here you can add or delete the scrips. When you move and hover over any stock it will give you different options.
With Dhan platform you get the maximum no. of indicators you want in life. They are just one click away.
You can display and use any type of chart with different candlestick patterns
Whether you want to use:
Support and Resistance indicator and many others
Dhan gives Trading View charts along with ChartIQ on both web and mobile application. Different Candlestick patterns etc. you name the indicator and it will be there.
As, you can see in the above image of order window, you can place different types of orders in intraday trading, if you select the option delivery, it will give you the option to place different order for delivery.
You can add- withdraw funds directly, create or back-test trading strategies use DHAN API to trade and lot more.
The user interface is so clean and up to the mark, you can easily know which icon will do what, as the moment you will hover to any it will tell you the functionality of it.
So all in all Dhan trading platform has everything what is needed for a hassle-free trading platform.
Let us now check 5Paisa trading platform in comparison to Dhan in a detailed way:
5Paisa offers trading platform for every device desktop/mobile/downloadable, whether you want to trade on your desktop/mobile, 5paisa technology driven service makes it easy and flexible to trade.
Let us talk about 5Paisa web based version trading platform:
5Paisa Trade station web is a browser based trading platform, which can be opened on any web browser you use. Just like a website but with all the tools and resources needed.
This is better than the downloadable version with great user interface and DIY (do it yourself) functions.
Create you market watch-list or predefined market watch , nifty50 all stock list are also available in one watch-list so need to add them separately.
Create your strategy by using infinite no. of tools, all best indicators with different candlestick chart patterns are available. Just drag and drop to apply them.
There is a separate option given to check the market analytics whether the gainer or looser of the day or 52week high/low, volume toppers etc.
Looking to invest for short term or long term you must need to know all about the company and with 5Paisa web based trading platform, it is easily available on a click.
Look out for historical data, all corporate action, share holding patterns etc.
Looking for option chain data or market depth, with trade station web all the information will be available at one place.
Overall Dhan in comparison to 5Paisa trading platform offers much better user interface as well as they have many other services integrated under one page which makes it very easy to find all resources.
5Paisa Vs Dhan Other Charges Comparison:
Call and Trade Charges At Dhan?
Dhan do not have any charges for you when you call Dhan Customer Care, however for call and trade at dhan you will be charged Rs 50 + GST per order placed through Dhan trade desk.
Call and Trade Charges At 5Paisa?
5Paisa offers you to place order by call and trade which will be charged Rs.100 per order through phone and you can modify an order as many times you want to during a day.
Auto squared off charges by 5Paisa Vs Dhan?
The charges are INR 20/order + GST for auto square off at dhan and Rs.50 per position open (intraday) excluding GST will be charged as auto square-off at 5Paisa, in case you do not do it by yourself from the trading platform.
What are Payment Gateway Charges at Dhan Vs 5Paisa?
There are no charges for payment gateway if making the payment through UPI and Net Banking at Dhan as well as 5Paisa.
Apart from above, the following types of charges are levied on your trades at every broker:
- STT– The Securities Transaction Tax is a direct tax levied on every purchase and sale of securities.
- Transaction charges– This is a charge levied by the exchange on every transaction placed.
- Clearing charges– This is a charge levied by the exchange for clearing the trade.
- GST– A Goods & Services rate of 18% is levied on every purchase and sale transaction of securities.
- State stamp duty– This duty is levied on the value of shares transferred and varies as per the individual state.
- SEBI turnover fees– This fee is charged by SEBI on the purchase and sale of all securities.
My Opinion On Dhan Vs 5Paisa:
I hope you have now thoroughly understood most of the services offered by Dhan and 5Paisa, if you ask me in Dhan vs 5Paisa who is better?
What makes 5Paisa different from other brokers is not only the services offered by them but the free trading, Demat and mutual fund account, you do not have to pay a single penny to open the account, moreover you can use the services and see if its suits your need.
Secondly, the kind of technological advancement in there trading platforms, apart from this they offer PMS(portfolio management services),insurance, loans, gold investment, research advisory. You have the option to take paid subscription plan for even a month at as low as Rs.299.
Moreover, with 5Paisa you can also invest in US Markets easily within few steps.
Expressing my opinion in terms of all technological tools, advanced platforms, robust management, margin brokerage, If I have to rate the 5Paisa in comparison with Dhan, I will give 9.2 out of 10. So, go ahead and open an free 5Paisa account now.
On the other hand if we talk about dhan stockbroker
According to the latest NSE reports there are about 250+ stock brokers in India, however what makes Dhan a leading and strong contender in the stock broking industry is the tools and resources they have in their trading platform.
Moreover there are no hidden charges and the brokerages are very minimal if we do the industry comparison. They are also backed by cash enriched investors so nothing to fear.
If I have to rate Dhan broker after looking at there breakthrough pricing model for brokerages as well as other charges and experiencing there simple yet great user interface for trading platform I would give it 9.5 out of 10.
I am still being harsh as it is a new company, but you may see the ratings may go higher with time in my opinion.
So if you are thinking of opening a trading/demat/mutual fund combined account, than do not put any second thought, go ahead and Open Free dhan trading and demat account with Zero AMC (Annual Mainenetance Charges) there is nothing to lose its a win-win deal.
If, you have liked the content please do share it with your friends or on social media, as sharing do bring the good karma. If you have any questions or feedback you can leave them in comment box below.
If you are a beginner in trading and investing, please read this amazing guide on How stock market works in India?
Want to know how much you need to save and invest every month for your retirement goal then do check moneycontain retirement calculator with inflation here.
Note: Please do not take this as any recommendation, to trade or invest. This is just for reference, to make you understand more about 5Paisa Vs Dhan and its importance, under no circumstances intended to be used or considered as financial or investment advice, a recommendation or an offer to sell, or a solicitation of any offer to buy any securities or other form of financial asset.
Please do your own research and make investment. Moneycontain will not be responsible for any of your losses at all. The point made is for educational purpose only and intended to give information. All investments are subject to risks, which should be considered prior to making any investments.